02 September 2012

Fantasy

Me: "I assume you haven't eaten breakfast."

The spouse, peering blearily at his computer, reading glasses perched on the end of his nose: "You assume correctly."

I begin to assemble ingredients, heat the waffle iron and start stirring things together.

The spouse, reading from a pop-up window on his screen: "Fantasy football player M: 'I am so messed up. What day is it? Did I miss the draft?'"

Me: "A little early to be messed up on a Sunday morning."

The spouse: "He's always messed up."

Me, primly: "Would you like a can of beer with those waffles?"

The spouse: "GAH!"

Me: "If you tell them I am making you beer and waffles for breakfast in honor of draft day, I guarantee they will all want to come over."

The spouse snorts. A moment later, he laughs out loud.

The spouse, reading from his screen: "Neighbor J: 'Can I come over?'"

Me, waving my spatula merrily: "Told you!"

The spouse, reading from his screen: "Neighbor B: 'Solid. I like her style.'"

Me: "I wonder if I should take a tray over to Neighbor J. A waffle and a can of Coors."

The spouse: "DO IT!"

Me, musingly: "Of course, P (his wife and my friend) probably wouldn't appreciate it."

The spouse, reading from his screen: "Neighbor B: 'We are all out of Squirrel Juice.'"

I have a refrigerator full of Squirrel Juice (Coors Light) that I've been trying to get the spouse to dispose of but I held my peace. Better than having them all crowded in my kitchen next year.


DRAFT DAY WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES (BEER OPTIONAL)

3 c. whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. orange juice
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs

Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, orange juice, applesauce, oil and eggs. Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined (there will still be some lumps). Cook waffles according to the directions that came with the waffle iron.

Makes about a dozen standard-size waffles. Leftovers can be frozen for later use.

The base for this recipe is the King Arthur whole wheat waffle recipe. I doubled their proportions and made a few changes including reducing the salt, adding cinnamon and substituting applesauce for half the oil, which makes a slightly more cake-like waffle that I prefer, though it is still quite light, with a pleasantly crunchy outside.

Go listen to some good music: "Fantasy" from the album Greatest Hits by Earth, Wind & Fire.

No comments: