11 October 2011

Where do we go now?

Tuesday, Oct 11th, 2011 -- If your enthusiasm prompted you to go too far yesterday, you might need to make an apology, pull back on the reins and reconsider your next move before you make matters worse. Ironically, your optimism may not be dampened; it's just that your goals are intertwined with others and you cannot charge off on your own. There's no reason to be discouraged; regrouping before you push forward again will only increase your chances of success. - Tarot.com

It made me laugh.

But I don't think I went too far yesterday. I'm actually hearing the opposite. And I think that I made it clear that while I'm sympathetic to the plight of those who have fallen on hard times, right now, I'm not standing with anyone, particularly as the Democrats are seeking to make the Occupy movement their Tea Party.

In some regards, we are all guilty of creating the place where we find ourselves now. As much as I don't want to, I still buy things made in China, clothing made somewhere else off shore. I still use the banks that I revile and patronize the corporations that we are excoriating. Often, I feel trapped in a web that I didn't seek, didn't ask for and certainly didn't vote for. While I have too many choices in toilet paper, I have no voice in how my tax money is used.

It's going to be hard work, the sort that no one ever seems to want to do, but to get this country back on its feet, there is going to need to be an overhaul of everything: the tax code (sorry, Cain, but yours doesn't work. National sales tax? No and hell no. Let's think in terms of a national luxury tax), the educational system, treatment of illegal labor, the list is endless. If you're rich, good for you! But no special consideration, no perqs, no loopholes. And if you're not rich, well you're going to have to figure out how to earn all those nice things you want, because no more damn free ride.

I have solutions. Just ask me. But believe you me, they are the sort of solutions that the politicians fear and the populace dislikes. They are the hard solutions, the ones that require personal responsibility and a level playing field. Everybody steps up, helps out, pays their fair share. And everyone does have to stop standing on the backs of the middle class: our backs are broken. What are you going to do when you've bled us dry? You should worry about that because we're just about there.

Alright, I've had enough of this. Tomorrow is another day. Maybe even a better day.

Go listen to some good music: "Sweet Child o' Mine" from the album Appetite for Destruction by Guns N' Roses.

No comments: