02 September 2011

Come Hell or full circle

I suppose that in some ways 10 years is full circle. I suppose that some people have been able to rebuild their lives, have overcome some measure adversity, have learned in some way to move forward. Some may declare themselves healed.

The dead remain dead. War rages on, inexorably but desultorily. "The enemy of the moment always represents absolute evil, and it followed that any past or future agreement with him was impossible."*

September 11, 2001, stole something from all of us, and by "us," I mean everyone on Earth, not just those who live in the U.S. For some of us, it stole childhood, or dreams. The past and the future. Memories, collective and individual. But in some way, humanity was stolen from all of us.

And that is the way of war. It is a lesson that we are taught repeatedly, yet never actually learn.

Go listen to some good music: "Go Places" from the album Challengers by The New P*rnographers. *George Orwell, 1984, p. 32. I've opted to remove myself from media for next 10 days. I have no desire to be beaten over the head with remembrance of this event. I've never forgotten and I fulfilled the duties that I was asked to fulfill on that day and in the aftermath. Enough.

No comments: