22 May 2011

As far as my eyes can see

The son texted me to say that his prom date loved her corsage (3 white roses, 3 purple orchids, silver ribbon), and I told him, "Always trust yr mama."

Still, it was a relief. Kids these days!

(I have one old enough to go to the prom. How is that possible? I'm prepping for him to go to college, but I can't get over prom. Even now, they are limo-ing to dinner. He was so nervous. I told him, "Dude. It's a party. With your friends.")

Yesterday was an exceedingly long day. We were up before the crack of dawn and out the door at 5:30 am to work a charity event, a fundraiser for cancer. Chilling to see so many of those who were being honored in memoriam were people born the same year I was and five years either direction. But it was also heartening to see their families turning out to rally for awareness and research. And it was moving for those volunteers who were holding the memorial placards when the families approached. The daughter teared up when the parents of the woman (4 years older than me, died two years ago) whose sign she held walked up to her and softly said, "That was our girl." The young woman next to the daughter who had a memorial placard for a man was high-fived by his friends and family.

A healthy reminder to cherish ourselves and our loved ones.

The boy survived the prom and then kept me up until 3 am with post-party decompression. So, an exceedingly long day. Then my brother called me at 9:30 this morning, completely unrepentant that he'd awakened me since our mother called him a bit earlier and got him out of bed.

And we laughed.

When I got off the phone with him, two teenagers looked at me expectantly, making hopeful faces regarding breakfast. I thought for a moment, but really the decision was made in a flash.

"Cake for breakfast," I announced.

"Hooray!" they cheered.

Always eat dessert first.

Go listen to some good music: "Old and Wise" from the album Eye in the Sky by Alan Parsons Project.

No comments: