05 March 2011

(Shake, shake, shake) shake your booty

At the moment, I have five 13- and 14-year-old girls running around the house. They have gone bowling (nominally), eaten dinner at Red Robin, sung happy birthday loudly to the very embarrassed daughter, and are currently watching said daughter's high school audition CD. There have been multiple iPhones and Droids playing at any given moment, the spouse blasting Rush over all this in the car on the way home from dinner, and what finally sent the son over the edge, a loud barrage of Justin Bieber.

(The Beaver is persona non grata amongst all in the household, but the daughter refrained from snarking out of respect for her guests).

Then, a blast from my past, the unmistakable sound of KC & the Sunshine Band from someone's phone.

"I was a disco baby!" cried one young miss whose nativity post-dated the end of the disco era by a decade and a half.

"My father listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers," lamented another.

And then they all burst out in chorus in the confines of the car:

"Shake your booty! Shake your booty!"

I wasn't even 14 when that song debuted on the radio.

Go listen to some good music: "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty" from the album Part 3 by KC & the Sunshine Band. I actually had this album--on cassette tape. My kids have an amusing (to me) distaste for most popular music. There has been no JoBros, no Miley, no Beaver, no Gaga, no Katy Perry. Works for me.

No comments: