24 December 2010

You're a pal and a confidante

LS and I have known each other for a bit over 30 years. We were fast friends in high school, but she moved away our senior year, and somehow, we've managed to stay in touch through time and distance.

Today, we sat next to each other at the restaurant where we had lunch, and we watched our daughters chatter away to each other, only minutes after they'd first met. They are four months apart in age, as are LS and I, and nearly the same age now as their mothers were when we first met.

The talk was animated, the laughter genuine.

"I thought so," LS said softly, with a small smile.

"Yup," I nodded, watching my daughter's bright face.

Go listen to some music: "Thank You for Being a Friend" from the album All This and Heaven Too by Andrew Gold. No, I don't really care for the song, but the sentiment is right, and so is the time period. Ah, the late 1970s...

No comments: