07 December 2010

Believe it

So, I bought a refrigerator. Simple enough, no? NO.

Years ago, we remodeled our kitchen, nice custom cabinets, new appliances (the existing ones dated back to 1979), blah, blah, blah. I wouldn't, however, give up my existing refrigerator because it was only about a year old. I just couldn't see spending a fortune on a new one when the old one had plenty of life in it yet. But being at least somewhat clever, I had the space designed for a built-in. You know, home resale value and all that.

So. Cut to 2009, and the old Maytag begins to very literally fall apart. I nursed it along until now. And found a nice Thermador at a (sort of, but not really because built-ins are freaking expensive) reasonable price.

That was on Saturday.

If I get into the installation question, we'll be here all day. Suffice to say, the salespeople didn't talk to each other about who installs what where. They ended up throwing in a certified installer because they really screwed that one up.

So, it transpires I'm taking delivery on this thing yesterday. That was on Monday.

But! There are three steps leading up to our front door! GAH!

Everyone runs around in circles. Another person, a different dolly and a REAL installer are needed. For crying out loud. I make arrangements to be here this morning to take delivery of the refrigerator, again.

As it turns out, our original salesperson is also an installer. He shows up with refrigerator, special dolly and adjunct red shirt.

"I'm concerned about that pipe for the water line..." he says. To be very fair to him, he is tremendously professional, hugely apologetic and nice as pie.

And it turns out that the refrigerator cannot be installed because the plumber did not correctly install the water line for the space. Even though I have no intention of hooking up the ice maker, the roughed in pipe sticks out too far for the refrigerator to go in.

Just another reason to hate the plumber who worked on my kitchen because he really did screw up everything he touched, and I had to have him back countless times to fix leaks and connections that he didn't do right the first time.

So, here I sit waiting on a new plumber to show up and fix the latest problem.

I'll still be here tomorrow morning, waiting on delivery of the refrigerator. Maybe third time will be the charm.

Somehow, I doubt it.

Update, 1 pm: Just a plumber, huh? Nope, the plumber has come and gone. Now I'm trying to find someone to repair the drywall...

Go listen to some good music: "Believe It" from the album 7 Day Weekend by The CS Angels. No, the song has nothing to do with the post, really, but with other things that are going on. Really, there is always so much going on, and I don't write about 98% of it. And most amusingly, my best friend from high school called while I was in the process of unloading the old refrigerator for the second time this morning, and she and her family are coming to visit at Christmas. Very cool.

No comments: