11 November 2010

Shining face to face


11 November 2010

I know. There's a reason why I have a photo blog, but when I was looking at the images I took tonight, I was thinking about my fascination with taking photos of the moon. Look at the edge where the light fades into darkness. Look at the craters. Look inside the craters. You are seeing shadows that are hundreds of thousands of miles away, courtesy of the small magic of a wonderful lens, and the strange, pixelated wonder of a photo on this even stranger electronic communication.

So very simple. So very complicated.

It's excruciatingly clear tonight, thanks to those gruesome winds that have been blowing all day. But the clarity is the payoff. And while I stood out in the black dark, wind whipping my hair around my head, under the brilliant light of a slice of moon, I thought about the craters and the shadows, and the other people who might stop for a moment to look at them, maybe even at the same moment I was standing there looking at them. Of the other people who might see them here.

So very simple. So very complicated.

Go listen to some great music: "Between Sun & Moon" from the album Counterparts by Rush. Hmm. There's a new label in there...

No comments: