09 November 2010

For a few dollars more (or not)

A quick note for those of you who read via the feed: I'm having trouble with content scrapers, so the feed posts will be temporarily shortened. To read the entire post, you'll need to click through to the blog. I'm sorry for the inconvenience; I do expect it to be temporary. This is an ongoing problem; I'm just feeling particularly ornery tonight.

AT was teasing me this morning about getting co-opted into cooking Thanksgiving dinner and I said a little sourly that while she was enjoying her planned vacation with her children, she could think about me slaving away in the kitchen preparing to entertain my in-laws. She laughed.

"So," she said. "How many days will it take you to prepare? Two? Three?"

I considered.

"About 24 hours all told," I told her, and then confessed, "I can pretty much make Thanksgiving dinner in my sleep."

My in-laws are traditionalists, so I am not allowed to make anything "weird." I'm going out on a limb making cornbread stuffing this year rather than the usual herbed stuff. My family requires that certain things appear: mincemeat pie, pumpkin pie. Well, and turkey.

"Oh, you see?" she said. "You cook every day. Think about all those people who only cook a couple of times a year. They don't even know what they're doing!"

I suppose she has a point.

Besides not being able to find mincemeat (not to worry, I've given up and just make it from scratch now), deals on turkey have been thin on the ground this year. I ended up lugging a 20-lb. frozen turkey about a half mile today (don't ask. Possessed.), but hey! I got it for 50 cents a pound.

I just called it weightlifting. Though my weights aren't usually that cold.


Thanksgiving dinner menu

Brie en Croƻte with Cherries and Pistachios with toasted french bread rounds
Homemade hummus with whole wheat pita
Crudite with dip
Champagne

Turkey with sage gravy
Cornbread and sausage stuffing
Roasted garlic mashed potatoes
Brussels sprouts
Green bean casserole
Cranberry orange relish
Cloverleaf rolls with butter
Pinot Noir
Riesling

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream
Mincemeat pie
Coffee

Now, if I can just find the Riesling that my MIL liked so much a couple of years ago, I'll be good to go.

Go listen to some music: "For a Few Dollars More" by Ennio Morricone from the album 50 Movie Theme Hits: Gold Edition.

No comments: