30 October 2010

Dirty deeds

Once upon a time, TV (and movies and books) relied upon the audience's imagination to fill in the little blanks, the delicate bits of plot that people really don't need spelled out for them. Like "what happens when you're stuck in a room with a really unattractive man who needs to answer the call of nature and there's hordes of slavering zombies between him and the restroom?" Seriously, I trust that he will find a solution. But I don't need to actually know what that solution is.

Dead Set didn't just spell it out once, the writers felt the need to grind everyone's face in it.

Do the scatalogical jokes fly in this house? You bet. I've got a 16-year-old son. And I have no particular objection to scatalogical humor in its proper context. For crying out loud, my brother and I were watching Monty Python as soon as it hit this shore.

And viscera? Okay, yeah, I like zombies. The occasional vampire. A werewolf. Space aliens. Well-crafted horror is great. But again, ugh factor? Don't need it so much. After all, I'm the person who had Gray's Anatomy (the real thing, not the TV show) in her office. I know from viscera.

Need I even go into the profanity? Can we get a little creative and maybe have some real dialogue? Sure, I understand that this show is self-referential, a take-off on reality TV. And I found Dead Set tedious for exactly the reasons I don't watch reality TV. Even the characters in the show are mostly dumb as posts.

Here's the thing, though: I'm not particularly prudish. What bothers me most about this is that the writers and producers are squandering precious minutes on this gratuitous, truly unfunny bathroom humor when they could be using that time on creating a really good plot. Because Dead Set could have used some good plot instead of showing up DOA.

Did I finish up this week's good deeds and immediately come down with a nasty and irritating little virus that is making me very cranky?

You got it.

Go listen to some music: "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" from the album Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC.

No comments: