06 June 2010

London, Washington...

Sunday night walk, left almost too late, because suddenly everyone decided they were hungry, and I had to cook them dinner.

It was a hot weekend, temperatures reaching the 80sF. I wasn't expecting to see the fog moving in this evening, but as I fled the house, the sun was sinking into a blanket of gold and grey.

I walked fast, faster than usual, in the gathering gloom. I ticked off lists: how many more school lunches, how many finals for each, anything I've not thought of before for the graduation lunch. I fussed a bit in my head about the son's finals schedule, which always throws a wrench into my schedule, and shot waves of bitterness in the general direction of the school.

This is the time of year that my resentments start piling up.

As I turned a corner and the sun disappeared, I caught the sweet smell of water in the air. It's something to which I'm always attuned and I wonder if that's because I spent so much in the desert. And I fell into a brief reverie. The desert, the desert. Nightfall in the desert. Rain in the desert. This seems to be the time of year when I miss the desert most.

I smiled and put the fussiness away.

All those silly tasks and cares will be dealt with and completed soon anyway. No point in wasting the energy worrying about them.

Go listen to some good music: "A Girl Like You" from the album 11 by The Smithreens. The hook, as it were, came while I played Rock Band with the daughter for five minutes: "London, Washington, anywhere you are I'll run..." Not so far from the truth, though for a little different reason.

No comments: