21 June 2010

Could we have kippers for breakfast?

I always have this utterly mistaken idea that once I get past some enormous hurdle, my troubles are over, completely forgetting that there is another hurdle in front of me on the course. Maybe that's why I wasn't so great at running hurdles when I was on the track team. Because my brilliant hurdling career ended at a meet when I got over the first two and ran smack into the third. I still have the dent in my shin.

Sounds just like my life!

Anyway.

Let's talk about breakfast. After all, it is the most important meal of the day.

Some days I can't be persuaded to eat much breakfast, especially when it's hot or on get-away days, when the idea of food at 5:30 am is sort of nauseating. But I do have breakfast daily. One of the best (and since I started making it, one of the spouse's favorites) is a riff on homemade muesli that I adapted from a Self magazine recipe. It's really very easy and quite filling. To make one serving, you need the following:

1/2 c. rolled oats
2 Tbsp. chopped nuts (I favor almonds; the spouse likes pecans)
2 Tbsp. dried fruit (I have dried blueberries; the spouse prefers raisins)
2 Tbsp. orange juice
1/4. c. non-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 c. chopped apple

Mix it all together, and there you go: you have a nice, healthy breakfast. To speed things up, you can mix together the dried ingredients in advance, and then just add the juice, yogurt and apple before you eat it.

And yes, you could have kippers for breakfast. If you really wanted to. Muesli might be easier.

Go listen to some good music: "Breakfast in America" from the album Breakfast in America by Supertramp. I have had kippers for breakfast, but regrettably found it necessary to skip the baked beans.

No comments: