29 May 2010

(You're the only ones) can make me cry

The Angels are fairly dreadful this year, currently holding 3rd place in the AL West, and sitting tidily under .500. You win some, you lose some. I've been watching baseball since I was 4. I get that.

So today, which was a freaky baseball day anyway (poor Huff! Hunter, too, though he didn't get a rocket to the head), ended for the Angels with a walkoff grand slam in the bottom of the ninth against Seattle. And Kendry Morales, the Angels' most consistent hitter so far this season, jumped on home plate to celebrate his accomplishment...

...and fractured his left leg.

Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, and he may be out for the rest of the season.

I'm not even going to tempt the Fates (or the Furies) by wondering what else can happen this weekend. Yesterday's closure of the 91 because a fuel truck crashed and burned, and the subsequent outbreak of fist fights on the other freeways jammed by people trying to get out of town was bad enough.

This before the temperatures even start rising.

On the upside, SWA sent me a nice little email reminding me of my Albuquerque itinerary. Like I'd forget...

Go listen to some good music: "(You're the Only One) Can Make Me Cry" from the album Concrete Blonde by Concrete Blonde.

5 comments:

Deb said...

Holy Crap! That video is hard to watch. I mean Kendry is already down and the guys are kicking his leg all over the place. And then a major traffic jam? on the 91? on Memorial Day weekend? For crying out loud, OC, pay the God bill already!

guerrilla girl said...

We watched part of the game over lunch and saw Hunter get hit with a pitch (and David Huff take ARod's line drive to the head, which is by far the worst baseball moment I can ever recall seeing), but didn't catch the end of the game. So initially, we just heard "Morales collapsed at the plate" after the grand slam. Talk about a heart stopper. So, yeah, as dumb an injury as this one turned out to be...it's just a broken leg.

Deb said...

Sadly, Bud Selig won't allow anyone in Texas to watch anything besides the Rangers and the Astros. I can listen to the games on MLB.com, but I'm not allowed to watch them on the Internet either. After hearing about Huff, I'm kind of glad I missed this game.

guerrilla girl said...

Really? Why is Texas singled out? We get different games just depending on what FSN, FSNW, or ESPN are showing, along with whatever the local stations pick up. We saw the Huff thing on highlights; I don't know if they actually showed the Cleveland-Yankees game here or not.

Deb said...

The whole bloody league is singled out apparently. I have the sports package, and the station features about five different games, but all of them are blacked out even if the stupid Rangers or Astros aren't playing. Only ESPN can show their Monday night game without the blackout curse. It's really very frustrating. And it's not confined to Texas. There is much moaning about it on the MLB message boards.