02 April 2010

There's a hole in my life

Baseball.

Already I've heard a bit about the fact that I haven't mentioned the word since the end of last season.

Oh, yeah, I kept an eye on the winter meetings. I knew I wouldn't be happy.

I'm not. Chone is in Seattle. Lackey is in Boston. We lost Darren Oliver and Vlad Guerrero to the Rangers.

We got Hideki Matsui.

Last season was heart wrenching with the loss of Preston Gomez at the start of spring training and the loss of Nick Adenhart at the beginning of the season. The final blow came in January when Angels broadcaster Rory Markas died unexpectedly. Usually, we have the game on the television, but we'd generally listen to Rory and Terry Smith call the play-by-play on the radio, until the happy day when they started putting in appearances on Fox. This season, Rory and Mark Gubicza would have been full-time on TV for the Angels.

(Angels just beat the Dodgers in the preseason Freeway Series. Just another Halo victory, as Rory would have said, no matter how much a squeaker that victory was. With the Angels, it is not infrequently a squeaker.)

So, baseball. I'll get over the changes; I usually do (yeah, I still keep an eye on Bengie Molina, who's been in National League for at least three seasons now, catching for the Giants. I miss him, too). We've still got Mr. Hunter. Napoli, affectionately known as Bluto, and Jeff Mathis. Weaver and Joe Saunders. Kendry Morales, Howie Kendrick, Brandon Wood, Maicer Izturis and Juan Rivera.

But who is going to steal bases for me with that infectious grin? Who is going to play bean ball with a vengeance when a rival pitcher starts popping his teammates? Who will be our hardworking long reliever?

Grr.

Argh.

Go listen to some good music: "There's a Hole in My Life" from the album Outlandos d'Amour by The Police. I'm not necessarily averse to change. For example, I really don't want to hear a band do the same album twice. I don't want an author to keep rehashing the same plot. Creative growth is the best thing ever. But my baseball team...when it's players that I really like and enjoy watching, and I think benefit both the game and the team, I don't want them to go. [Insert Clint Eastwood growl]

No comments: