29 March 2010

Morning mood


































Spring is springing rather wildly, as Milton, who was watching something fascinating below the plum tree, can tell you.

Woke to wind and excessively warm temperatures Saturday morning, and by Sunday afternoon, it was in the mid-80sF, and so dry that everything one touched lit with sparks.

Sounds like spring, doesn't it? Sparks? I feel sort of sparky at the moment.

The birds have been just mad, zipping crazily around, peeping, churring, chipping. And everyone is making an appearance: hawks, ravens, crows, towhees, finches of all sorts, phoebes, mallards, geese in V formation, hummingbirds of many varieties. Just on the walk home this afternoon, the kids and I saw 1 male and 2 female Western bluebirds, along with a woodpecker, who was cheerily tearing into the neighbor's liquidamber.

Tomorrow, naturally, the temperatures will drop about 15 degrees, to be followed by another 20 degree drop and rain on Thursday. The very day that J., another mother and I are meant to be entertaining 53 7th and 8th graders for their spring break party. In the rain. And the cold.

April Fools are we.

And of course, I'll be the one baking the cookies.

Go listen to some music: "Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: 1. Morning Mood" from the album Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites by Berliner Philharmoniker and Herbert von Karajan. I know, I know. I don't think anyone really believes that I bake cookies. These are butter press cookies, shaped like flowers. They will be lovely. You have no idea how much is going on behind the scenes. And I don't mean cookies.

No comments: