25 March 2010

I wouldn't want to be like you

I was having an utterly awesome day, getting the things I needed to finish done. A huge--close to 2 ft. long from stem to stern--lizard showed up on the back patio and I got photos. The Cooper's hawk dropped in to visit the fountain and have a bath (and I didn't get photos). I picked the kids up from school, and the daughter was unhappy because a classmate had been rude to her for no reason.

"I don't understand why people have to be mean," she said into my shoulder. "I really don't get it."

But we regained our equilibrium and by the time we got home, we were laughing and the daughter was singing, and the two of us sat down outside to eat popsicles.

Then something not at all awesome occurred, and I'm still quite angry about it, though this is not the place to discuss it. Suffice to say that I wish people would keep their personal filth to themselves.

Quite often, I don't understand what motivates people to behave in the worst possible fashion. I don't know why people feel the need to be mean, to hurt each other and those around them. It's not that I am some perfect person, that I have never lashed out at someone else. But I don't behave nastily deliberately. I don't want to be like that. I want to be awesome.

So, here is my lizard. She is awesome.


Go listen to some good music: "I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You" from the album I Robot by The Alan Parsons Project.

No comments: