15 February 2010

In the Hall of the Mountain King

The desert sped past the windows of the vehicle and the man beside me pointed out features, scarps, rock types. He talked about geologic time, schist, flow and fault.

I watched the mountains and rock floor, contemplating the color of the sky, noting the relative amount of water the desert had received with winter rains.

Finally, in frustration, he said, "I guess this stuff doesn't interest you."

With a small sigh but no impatience, I pointed out features, scarps and rock types. I talked about schist, flow and fault. I noted basalts and alluvial fans, which had not come up in this conversation.

He was silent for a moment, digesting what he had just learned.

"You were listening," he remarked quietly.

I absorb information like a sponge and I can assimilate many things simultaneously. I may not always look like I'm listening. If information doesn't make immediate sense, I file it away for later reconsideration. I watch, I take note, I sing, I write, I knit. I look around me and I contemplate the color of the light.

But I am always paying attention.

Go listen to some good music: "Peer Gynt Suite No.1, Op. 46: 4. In the Hall of the Mountain King" from the album Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites by Berliner Philharmoniker and Herbert von Karajan. The music does suit, but it also came up this morning when the son asked if I minded if he showered, and I told him he could go cavort in the fountain instead, and he danced around humming part of Peer Gynt.

2 comments:

` said...

Your "liner notes" caused me to laughMAO. This got me in trouble as no one was in the room at the time, and people next door were sure I had lost my mind.

guerrilla girl said...

"Liner notes." How perfect! I'd never thought of them as such, but that's exactly what they are. And I'm glad they made you laugh, People Next Door notwithstanding. ;-)