07 February 2010

Eminence front

I'll refrain from commenting on tonight's half-time entertainment, but the commercials. Usually, I can count on the Super Bowl for something interesting, but most of these ranged from crass to more crass to really boring.

(The Shuffle ad was kind of funny, if you remember Ditka and the Bears, and though I am not a football fan, even I recognized that one.)

What was with all the people without pants? Besides utterly gross? The Go Daddy ads? My 12-year-old announced loudly that she found them really offensive. I cannot stand those stupid baby ads (E-trade?). Even the Budweiser horsies didn't elicit more than a tepid "Cute."

And who knew that the ham-eating pig ads were Boost Mobile? I had no idea until I was looking up Boost Mobile to find out when the original Shuffle ad aired (neither the spouse nor I could remember). Not good advertising, really, if your pig overshadows your product.

Since I don't watch the game (but congratulations, New Orleans, on your first appearance and win), I usually spend most of the afternoon cooking. Or doing laundry. Or doing both.

Pretty Simple Buffalo Wings

3 lbs of chicken wings, cut into pieces, tips removed
2 Tbl butter
3/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
Dash of Tabasco

Preheat oven to 425F. Put chicken wings on rimmed baking sheet and bake until they reach desired crispness, at least 30-40 minutes. Melt butter in a small saucepan and add hot sauces, stirring until combined. Keep sauce warm until wings are done. Remove wings from oven at end of cooking time and toss with sauce in a large bowl until they they are evenly covered. Serve immediately with dressing and celery sticks.

I used both this recipe and the recipe from the back of the Frank's bottle for inspiration. The daughter and I are fond of dipping our celery sticks in the wing sauce (yes, I know that's sort of missing the point of the celery), so I make sure there's a little extra hot sauce. The first recipe also includes a really good and easy bleu cheese dressing recipe, though I add a little more lemon juice to mine.

Go listen to some good music: "Eminence Front" from the album It's Hard by The Who. I swear, when this song first came out, I thought they were singing "Living is fun." Who knew?

No comments: