04 January 2010

Listen to what the man said

The spouse had his first post-surgical appointment today.

As I sat in the exam room while he waited to have the staples removed, a magazine in the rack caught my eye.

Arthritis Today.

My god, I thought. How depressing. Is it just for doctors? Do people actually subscribe to it?

I went to high school with a girl who had juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. She was always nice, always upbeat, but I always wondered how much pain she suffered every day.

Seventy minutes on the exercise bike this morning left my own joints aching. I've been feeling my age for the last several months, and there are days when I wonder if I can continue at the pace I set for myself.

I looked at the diagrams of joints on the wall.

I thought about the people in wheelchairs in the waiting room.

I'll take the pain and tomorrow, lift weights and walk two miles in addition to the two I already walk every day. Both are customary on Tuesdays and Thursdays, like the 70 minutes on the bike Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I know the benefits far outweigh the discomfort.

The Hidden Benefits of Exercise
And Why More is Even Better

Yeah, I didn't want to hear that last one either.

Ow.

Go listen to some music: "Listen to What the Man Said" from the album All the Best by Paul McCartney. If you've read here for long, you know I've been pretty athletic my entire life. Generally, I accept that I am far better off for the exercise regimen I keep: with the exception of the last year, I deal with less asthma, fewer bouts of bronchitis and other respiratory ills, and usually my cruddy joints will behave themselves. But ohmygod, there are days when I don't even want to think about moving.

No comments: