31 January 2010

Changes

"Let's go," he said with a smile, this man I knew in the dream but didn't know in the conscious world.

I followed him through winding streets and old brick buildings, walking on wet sidewalks and dusty wooden floors. Through a throng of people at a small market, all of them shouting, seeming to argue or bargain, in a language I recognized but didn't know.

This, I thought in the dream, this is what I'm meant to do. This is an adventure.

I lost my guide along the way, but I was unperturbed. I felt at ease, and ready for anything. I had my bearings and a map and my phone.

Adventure.

I ventured back outdoors, and examined a road for signs of flooding, not because it was adventure, but because I am me, and then stopped at a stoop to listen to someone who was talking. I was invited inside to take tea.

I don't know where I am going, only that I am going. I've never been too interested in looking backward. I prefer to move forward. San Diego is set in stone, and while obstacles are starting to appear, I am thinking ahead.

South of France?

Ahead.

Tomorrow is a new month, and I think I'll do NaBloPoMo. I need change, to change, to ring the changes.

Whatever comes my way.

Go listen to some good music: "Changes" from the album 90125 by Yes.

No comments: