03 December 2009

Christmas canon

Tonight, Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The kids had so much fun last year, they were anxious to go again (funny, they've never asked to sit through Handel's Messiah a second time...)

But what's not to love about a Christmas program with generous lashings of heavy metal, classical and pyro? Joe Walsh made a surprise appearance, and my 12-year-old daughter shushed the obnoxious woman behind us.

A good time was had by all!

Go listen to some good music: "Christmas Canon" from the album The Christmas Attic by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I told the daughter that part of the fun of seeing concerts in L.A. is never knowing who might show up on stage: we saw Jack Black join Rush on stage, and years ago, I saw Warren Zevon get on stage with REM for several songs at the Greek Theater. Others, too. The other thing that struck me as funny is that the first and, I think only, time I'd seen Joe Walsh live was with the Eagles...when I was the daughter's age.

No comments: