18 November 2009

Good advices

"Consider using tact when speaking today, dear Gemini."

Kids, you are a day late with that advice...

I had a lot of errands to run this morning, so parked at the grocery where I planned to finish, and then walked to an office supply store, and from there to the farmer's market in the town center.

The market has contracted significantly since the summer, which is only to be expected as the growing season is largely over. Still, the apple lady had some lovely stuff out, and I ended up buying about 10 lbs. of various types (I cook with them, and the kids usually take one to supplement their lunches, so we go through lots of apples). I find the market keeps me honest in terms of using what's in season and what's local, and that's a good thing. I've never been big on imported produce, and I think it's just wrong to try to grow stuff out of season, like the nasty strawberries they try to pawn off on us in the winter (though my plants just set a new small crop by themselves. What's up with that?)

Even the fish guy didn't have much to offer. And mostly, I was there to buy stuff for T-Day dinner, so it was largely onions and parsley and celery. And the radishes I simply couldn't resist.

(I like radishes).

I still haven't been able to find mincemeat. Tomorrow I venture off to fancy supermarket #1 and if that doesn't yield any results then I have to wander up to fancy supermarket #2 on Friday. Honestly, are the son and I the only ones who eat mincemeat pie? I make excellent pumpkin pie (scratch, yes), but I do enjoy a nice slice of spicy mincemeat, too.

Since I missed posting a recipe on Monday, here's a quick one that has nothing to do with Thanksgiving at all.

When I worked for Big Entertainment Company, my office was in an industrial area. The company commissary actually had really good food, and the studio commissary was only a couple of miles down the road, but there was very little else amid the warehouses. We were usually pretty time-pressed and didn't want to drive into the nearby cities for a greater lunch selection. Generally, I'd either grab some sushi at the commissary or pack my own lunch, but on occassion, my buddy AKB and I would venture to a little coffee house a couple of blocks away, hidden away amongst the warehouses. They had a selection of sandwiches and a hot entree, but my favorite thing EVER was their roasted red pepper and mozzarella sandwich with a green salad on the side and a little pot of French press coffee. I still miss the sweet man behind the counter who would announce "RPM and salad" the moment AKB and I walked in the door, and then would promptly try to talk us into dessert as well. I miss the sandwich, too.


Roasted Red Pepper and Mozzarella Sandwich

Two slices of hearty bread like sourdough or Italian
Basil pesto
Sliced roasted red peppers packed in water, drained and patted dry
Sliced fresh mozzarella, near room temperature
Butter

Spread one side of each slice of bread with a thin layer of pesto. Layer red pepper, then mozzarella on top of pesto on one slice, then cover with second slice, pesto side down. Butter top slice of bread and place buttered side down in a frying pan with a lid or a sandwich press. Butter what is now the top slice of bread. Grill sandwich, flipping once, until bread is toasted golden and mozzarella has melted.

Makes one sandwich. Enjoy.

Go listen to some good music: "Good Advices" from the album Fables of the Reconstruction by REM. This is one of the albums that always reminds me of a long-ago Thanksgiving...but that's another story in itself. Familiar face in a foreign place...yes.

No comments: