06 October 2009

Something real























Isn't it a beauty? I've seen it from time to time on the fountain, but was never quick enough with the camera. Today, however, it stayed around for some time, and later returned to splash in the water. We've a red tail who's a frequent visitor, too, and then there is the elusive grey hawk of which I've only gotten occasional glimpses.

For a sense of the sheer size of the Cooper's hawk, here again is the photo I posted last spring of the white crowned sparrow flying over the same fountain:
























What better argument for the urban forest I've created than the sheer numbers of birds?

On the other hand, I could live without the brown widow spiders that have evidently colonized my mailbox. I keep pulling them out (frequently on the mail), and dispensing with them, but they keep returning. I believe in wildlife diversity, but this one is ridiculous.

Perhaps I can find a better predator than me.

Go listen to some good music: "Something Real" from the album All That We Let In by the Indigo Girls.

No comments: