15 October 2009

Drawing the line

When I started blogging three-ish years ago, I really didn't expect to be doing it three-ish years later. I started a blog sort of as a joke, sort of as an act of defiance, sort of as an experiment.

Sometimes, it's a lot of fun.

But lately, it hasn't been any fun at all.

What happened was that I started writing. And then people started reading.

I don't know who most of you are. Some of you are friends of mine in the real world. Some of you are nice people who decided to tag along for the ride. Some of you are content scrapers. Some of you are just quiet folks who show up on a pretty regular basis. An interesting stat I read some time back about people who read blogs: 95% of regular readers just go to read, never make a comment. I know that this really bothers a lot of people who write blogs; they want FEEDBACK! Not me. You're always welcome to join the conversation, of course, but if you just want to read, that's fine with me. But then I'm the sort of person who pretty much never leaves comments on other people's blogs.

Because I just write about what happens or what I do or what interests me, there is no overarching theme to my blog. I'm not a mommy blogger by any stretch, nor a recipe blog, nor a book review blog. Really it's all out of the kitchen, sink included. So you've gotten a jolly combination of engineering, disaster preparedness, the joys of teens and preteens, hiking in Norway, and recipes for squash. But I watch the stats, and some of you like the book stuff, and some of you like the recipes and some like the bird pictures and then there's you lot waiting for me to go to another concert. Oh, and dear God, don't let me forget the shoe fetishists. Talk about the law of unintended consequences. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Anyway. Back to the part where I said this isn't fun anymore.

As readership (and content scraper activity) has grown, I've gotten more stressed about writing here. I've been abundantly stressed the last year as it is, and all the stress is spilling over into every aspect of my real life.

(Ah, this is starting to sound like a whiny break-up post. "It's not you, it's me...")

Okay, it's not forever. A week. I am taking a one-week blog vacation. Because you see, the last several years when I've been on vacation, I'm still blogging! I'm taking notes for posts, taking photos for posts. But for the next week, I'm not thinking about blogging, not taking photos, just walking away. Just think, you won't even have to hear about the ALCS. I'll come back with a new outlook (I hope). Just a week.

You won't even miss me.

(Unless you're a content scraper.)

See you October 23.

Go listen to some good music: "Drawing the Line" from the album The Incident by Porcupine Tree. And hey, I reserve the right to change my mind and come back early.

No comments: