16 July 2009

What a feeling!

Hi ho hi ho, it's back to the '80s we go...

At least if fall fashion is to be believed.

I came of age in the 1980s and I will make so bold as to profess that there were things about the 1980s that I loved: my A.B. degree, my M.S. degree, hard rock, alt rock, miniskirts...

There were plenty of terrible things about the 1980's, like the credit policies instituted by a certain presidency which led to where we are today, and there were certainly plenty of heinous miscues when it came to '80s fashion: neon, cut-up sweatshirts, PVC, cabbage roses. But the decade also marked the return of really tailored clothing...stuff I could actually wear, unlike, say Dittos jeans (who were those things made for, anyway? My God, I was underweight through most of high school and I couldn't get into them...). Once I'd graduated and needed real clothes for a real job, I was able to invest in some really nice pieces through various and sundry department store sales: a gorgeous Maggie London dress (that I still have), a navy pencil skirt, some beautifully constructed blouses. Great trousers. Comfortable pumps. They fit. They flattered! Of course, my favorite bit of clothing ever, the thing that I wore until it fell apart: the boyfriend blazer. Black, of course. It went with everything.

(Okay, the enormous shoulder pads of the 1980's probably needed to die. But they made my hips look so tiny!)

And miniskirts. I had one I loved in black cotton. With the blazer and a black and red turtleneck, I always felt ready to conquer the world.

So it was with some amusement that I opened up the Nordstrom anniversary sale catalog last week and saw the 1980s reinvented. Leggings, oversize blouses, boyfriend blazers, cowl-neck sweaters.

A really great pair of heels.

I was smitten.

I don't do the clothes horse thing well, as I've often pointed out. Fashion here can be just plain weird, especially for a woman my age who has a strong desire not to embarrass herself and to still look nice. But for the first time in decades, I have hope that I might find clothes that I actually like.

And no, I'm not talking leggings. I have my eye on two things only:

A boyfriend blazer.

And that pair of heels.

I already own decent trousers and some nice blouses. A blazer and a good pair of shoes, and I will be ready, once again, to conquer the world.

Go listen to some music: "Flashdance...What a Feeling" by Irene Cara from the soundtrack to the film Flashdance. Truly a dreadful movie. And musically, not exactly my thing. Still, it fit.

No comments: