04 July 2009

Buckaroo holiday
















Milton is endlessly outraged by the fol-de-rol gripping the neighborhood today. Unattended children whipping up and the down the street, usually more-or-less responsible adults behaving like unattended children. Disapproval emanates from every pore on his little body.

It dawned bright, although it usually dawns foggy, and it's over 90F out there now (which why I'm in the house pretending to be washing dishes while everyone else is out there eating whatever is being produced. I never eat anyway. I stand around with my water bottle and make social noises. Oh, and in the food department? Hummus won. A good thing, too, because one of the organizers told me that no one seemed to be bringing appetizers this year! So I ran home and got some more stuff...)

I was prevailed upon to make an appearance at breakfast ("But I never go to the breakfast!" I wailed), and to ride in the Cad in the parade ("But I never ride in the parade!" I wailed).

After the early-ish morning excitement, I made lunch: sausages, fresh corn on the cob and cherry cobbler, and then somehow, the spouse and the kids and I started talking about the old TV show Night Gallery, which I was far too young to watch when it was actually on in the early 1970s.

And lo! Night Gallery is on Hulu! So we watched two episodes and the daughter took up residence in my lap, shrieking.

Then we started talking about the old Outer Limits episode "The Zanti Misfits," which I saw as an adult on a 4th of July Outer Limits marathon, while the spouse saw it as a child and was scarred for life.

And behold! "The Zanti Misfits" is on Hulu! So we watched that, and the daughter took up residence on my lap, shrieking. Of course, by the end, everyone was shrieking with laughter.

Now, it is heading into evening, and at some point it will cool down, and then there will probably be fireworks. There always are.

Go listen to some good music: "Buckaroo Holiday" (part one of Rodeo) from the album The Copland Collection: Orchestral and Ballet Works by Aaron Copland & the London Symphony Orchestra.

No comments: