19 April 2009

Strawberry swing

I grow strawberries in my kitchen windowbox. Other things, too: basil, peppermint, sage, cilantro when I remember to plant it (note to self: plant some!). The strawberries, however, are always happily successful, and one year, sent runners down into the flower bed below where the offshoots are blooming even now (and the fruit pretty much ends up slug food).

When I got back from D.C., the largest of the berries had turned a deep and lovely red, the first ripe berry of the season. This variety is Seascape, which I've been growing for several years.
















And here we have Chandler, a June-bearing variety (yes, I know it's mid-April. Welcome to California):















I really need to get to work on the back beds. I'm way behind on prepping and planting, but I'll probably need to wait a few days. We're suddenly up in the mid-90sF, a mini-heatwave that is not an uncommon mid-spring occurrence. Temperatures should be back in the 60sF later in the week.

Did I mention I'm on a chicken kick again? I've never actually gotten any, though I've considered it for years. Increasingly looking like a good idea, not that I have time to be a lady farmer.

Of course, when did that ever stop me?

Go listen to some good music: "Strawberry Swing" from the album Viva La Vida by Coldplay.

No comments: