20 April 2009

It's what you need

Tonight, I wanted to write about the tyranny of the blank page, the possibility of the blank page, the raging heat, the odd/wonderful/wretched bits of the D.C. trip, and the daughter's object of desire (the White House).






















But suddenly I can't stop yawning.

(Not so surprising when I was awakened at 1 a.m. by what sounded like the cat wrestling shampoo bottles in the kids' bathroom, but actually turned out to be something the size of a small elephant in the attic. The cat, all innocence, was cowering in abject terror in the hallway. Will have to set traps in the attic, which is an occasional necessity.)

So instead, I will tell you that I made the most wonderful tzatziki for dinner tonight (along with gyro, hummus and tabouli), and while I don't entirely remember what I did, it was something like this:

1 c. non-fat plain yogurt (I like Straus Family Creamery)
3/4 c. kirby cucumber, grated and drained
4 large cloves of garlic, run through a garlic press
1/4 tsp. dried dill
1 T. lemon juice
Kosher salt to taste
Ground pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a bowl, and chill for two hours.

This is not so thick as a lot of tzatziki because I didn't drain the yogurt, but it was a nice consistency for the gyro sandwiches.

Go listen to some good music: "It's What You Need" from the album Feel Good Ghosts (Tea-Partying Through Tornadoes) by Cloud Cult. This album was a birthday gift, and one of my favorite albums of 2008.

No comments: