12 December 2008

Window to the world

The daughter: "Mommy, I got into the geography bee."

Me: "Cool."

The daughter: "You'll never believe what my question was."

Me: "Hmm?"

The daughter: "What is the Canadian province separated by a river from Michigan?"

Me, laughing: "You're kidding. That was your question?"

The daughter: "And I thought, 'Ok, where is it Mommy is always going?' And first I thought, 'Toronto.' And then it was 'no, no, no, that's a city.' So I wrote 'Ontario' on my card and hoped it was the right province."

Me: "Was Mr. H. surprised you knew the answer?"

The daughter, beaming because she adores young Mr. H.: "He smiled at me."

Me: "Did anyone else know the answer?"

The daughter, in tones of high dudgeon: "AC just wrote 'Canada.' And JL! She said 'Minnesota!'"

Me: "JL doesn't know that Minnesota is in the U.S.?"

The son: "At least she didn't say 'The Yukon'."

The daughter, snarkily: "That's by Alaska. EVERYONE knows that."

Me: "Well, I'm glad that you knew the right answer."

The daughter, grabbing a cookie: "Only because you're always going there."

Amazing what travel can do.

Go listen to some music: "Window to the World" from the album My Favorite Headache by Geddy Lee.

No comments: