15 December 2008

It's raining, it's pouring















This is what we woke to a few hours ago.

We've had so little rain in recent years that the ground doesn't even know what to do with all this water, so streets are running like rivers. Then too, in the burn areas, fire changed the physical and chemical properties of the soil so it becomes hydrophobic on the surface and less able to absorb water.

But we really need the rain. Even as I watch, ash and dirt are pouring out of my gutters, and I know my enormous pine tree needs a good bath to eliminate all the filth that's accumulated on it, especially in the last couple of months.

I'm not sure I've ever seen quite so many alerts at one time, though. The spouse had The Weather Channel on this morning and it was blaring the NWS watches and warnings at regular intervals. The noise and flashing red freaked the kids out a bit. Of course, Southern California born and bred, they've never really comprehended that their mother grew up with a snowsuit in her wardrobe, and 45F seems near freezing to them.

So yeah, exciting times in old SoCal.

Right now, car accidents are occurring on the freeway at the rate of 1 every 2 minutes. So, after spending all last week out shopping, I think I'll stay home today, since really, other motorists are a greater threat than the rain. I've just brewed a pot of Peet's Winter Solstice tea, and I have a date with the exercise bike (sigh). Then maybe I'll bake. Or decorate. Or get serious about the Christmas Eve dinner menu.

Or maybe I'll just light a fire in the living room, and the cat and I can curl up in my big red chair and read.

As if.

Go listen to some music: "It's Raining, It's Pouring" is a traditional nursery rhyme.

No comments: