23 December 2008

Another Christmas song

The manger's on fire...

So, last night, I'm doing kitchen things, and I've set the dishwasher to run, and the washing machine has been going all day, and then I notice that the kitchen sink doesn't appear to be draining.

So I run some hot water in the drain, and it doesn't drain very fast. I check the laundry room sink and there is water standing in that drain too.

I really wanted to start screaming. But lovely Rescue Rooter Ron showed up at 9 am, and fixed the problem. He was perplexed because he said my drains were very clean. I suspect sourdough starter. Remember making flour and water paste in kindergarten? Yeah, me too.

I'm a bit calmer now, though in the overall scheme of things, this probably wasn't as bad as the Christmas Eve I had a house full of people, it was pouring rain, and the septic tank overflowed into the street.

Nothing says Christmas like plumbing problems.


Christmas Eve Dinner Menu

Crudités with Green Goddess Dressing
Bacon-wrapped Shrimp
Brie en Croûte with Cherries and Pistachios

Champagne


Prime Rib with Rosemary Gravy

Roast Goose with Gravy and Apple Stuffing

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Steamed Petite Brussels Sprouts
Cloverleaf Rolls
Cranberry Orange Relish

Petite Syrah
Alsatian Riesling


Yule Log
Stilton with Fresh Pears
Coffee, Port, assorted liqueurs

Go listen to some music: "Another Christmas Song" from the album A Colbert Christmas by Stephen Colbert. Because I decreed there will be no bashing of one particular dinner guest, I can't actually discuss what will be the biggest nightmare tomorrow night, but really I'm trying to live the spirit of the season. I am not winning that particular battle. Please pray to the God of Beef that I don't mess up the prime rib.

No comments: