19 November 2008

Deck the halls

So here I was congratulating myself on having made dinner (Potato and Leek Soup, green salad and fresh French bread), put together the kids' lunches for tomorrow, and cleaned toilets all day (my soul is presently clean enough, I guess), and I was going to settle in for a nice session with the new Doctor Who DVD, when I suddenly realized I hadn't written a blog entry.

So I settled in for a nice session with "Voyage of the Damned" from the new Doctor Who DVD.

And now here I am.

I'm not cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year, and though it's generally one of my favorite meals to make, I'm fine with giving it a miss next week. Instead, I've begun to plan Christmas Eve dinner, which will be our big holiday event. We'll have a number of guests this year, and the grandparents are spending the night so as to be here for morning festivities, so Christmas Eve and Christmas breakfast are the meals I have to focus on.

(Because of family tradition--not one that I started, mind you. This one is on the spouse's parents--Christmas breakfast frequently revolves around a box of See's Candies.)

While pedaling away on the exercise bike, I started mentally ticking off necessities like china, silver and crystal, working out a seating plan for the table, considering wines and starters and sides and desserts, and I suddenly realized that I'm looking forward to the holidays this year.

Go listen to some music: "Deck the Halls" from the album Joy to the World by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

No comments: