04 November 2008

"C" is for cookie

This post is guaranteed election free!

We had quite the morning.

I always know it will be a good day when I wake up with a headache.

There is usually a morning parade into my room. It used to be the cat, tail up, heralding the arrival of morning coffee. Now, more often than not, it's the son, gallumphing down the hall and in the door. The kid sounds like a herd of stampeding elephants.

"It's raining," he sang out, as I tried to untangle myself from the clinging web of a very weird dream where his school insisted that all the parents take a history class (taught by the son's math teacher). I was seated in a huge cathedral with about a thousand other people, taking a test (no pencil, of course).

It wasn't raining 10 minutes later when I took him over to school, though it was cool and overcast. The son was horribly perky for someone who'd kept me up until midnight as he tried to finish a political cartoon about apartheid for his history class (if you wondered why I was taking a history class in that dream...)

It started pouring as I returned home, and my hair sprang up in horrifying little curls everywhere.

Shoveled the daughter out the door.

The spouse was scheduled to be deposed this afternoon on a huge case that's been going on for several years. Depositions are unbelievably festive affairs, and depo prep comes second only to trial preparation in the amount of stress it generates.

(If you were reading here last summer, I was helping with trial preparation for an equally awful case when I got a very happy phone call whilst in New Hampshire that the portion I was working on had settled. That doesn't happen often, and I'll tell you, I was one happy camper that night).

Went off to buy a crate on wheels to transport files to the deposition. Then, milk, lettuce, lunch meat.

Attended to civic duty.

The spouse grumbled over documents.

"Hey," he laughed, suddenly, as he flipped through a pile of papers, "here you are in the billing."

I did quite a bit of work on this case two years ago.

"I promised the kids I'd make cookies," I announced.

My family is spoiled rotten.


Molasses Crinkles
This recipe came from my mother's Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I don't know her edition, but my 12th edition (1980) did not include it, so I'm sharing it here.

Mix well:
1 c. vegetable shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg

Sift together:
1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. clove

Heat oven to 350F. Stir dry ingredients into first mixture, blending well. Shape dough into 1" balls (if dough is too soft, chill 1 hour). Dip tops of balls innto granulated sugar. Arrange on cookie sheet. Bake about 12 minutes.

Go listen to some music: "'C' is for Cookie" from the album "C" is for Cookie - Cookie's Favorite Songs by Cookie Monster. While the world changed and we talked last night, the son suddenly said, "Work. Cookies. I get it now."

No comments: