10 September 2008

The good, the bad and the ugly

The good:

Clinch.

It was a one-off that I managed to talk the spouse into going to the game.

Me: "Angels versus Yankees. Field boxes are available."

The spouse: "Day game."

Me: "Have you ever heard of vacation time?"

Of course, he held me up as the example of never letting up, never taking time off, never just doing anything fun.

I reminded him of what I'd been up to the last year.

The spouse: "Well..."

So he went. The first thing that flashed up on the scoreboard was a quiz: Does your boss or teacher know you're at the game?

The lady who got his beer carded him.

I laughed out loud. She looked surprised.

I patted him on the shoulder.

"He's 47 in October," I told her. "You are his new best friend."

"If I look less than 40," he said to me, "you must look less than 20."

I snorted. "Not exactly."

It wasn't one of the more exciting games, until the bottom of the fifth, bases loaded, two outs, full count, the crowd got to its feet and Robb Quinlan delivered a nice line drive, scoring two, and Xavier Nady helpfully overthrew the ball, scoring a third.

I had to leave mid-seventh to pick the kids up from school, and so missed this after Texas lost to Seattle:

"Taking a hose from the pitching mound, shortstop Erick Aybar began spraying teammates before handing it over to [Jose] Arredondo. The rookie reliever took it up a notch, carrying the hose over to the stands and spraying fans."













Borrowed from MLB.com.

The bad?

Me, of course. Honestly, talking the hard-working spouse into playing hooky for a ball game? Tsk.

The ugly?

There's plenty of that to go around. For this moment, I'm content to appreciate the good.

Go listen to some good music: "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" from the album 50 Movie Theme Hits: Gold Edition by Ennio Morricone.

No comments: