15 September 2008

Breakfast in America

(I do mean North America when I say that. Half the ingredients came from Canada...)

Usually, I am compelled to make something special for Sunday breakfast, be it muffins or scones or pancakes or coffee cake.

"Making anything this morning?" the spouse will ask hopefully as I'm sitting in front of the newspaper, slugging down coffee and trying to get my eyes open. He doesn't usually start asking unless we get to about 9 am and I'm showing no signs of moving.

Earlier in the week, he was thumbing through the growing stack of cooking magazines sitting on the dining room table, and suddenly held up a Bon Appetit.

"This looks really good," he hinted. The cover showed a stack of pancakes with little blueberries on them.

I made them Sunday. They were really good. Just add bacon and coffee.

Whole Grain Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Maple Syrup

Full disclosure: I couldn't find the mix the magazine suggested, so I made the pancakes like this:

2-1/2 c. Bob's Redmill Buckwheat Pancake Mix
2 large eggs
4 T canola oil
2 c. lowfat buttermilk
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 T wheat germ
2 T maple syrup

Whisk ingredients together until blended and cook as directed. Made about 20 4-inch pancakes. They were crisp on the outside, light on the inside. Next time, I might back the mix down to 2-1/4 c.

I read the reviews of the recipe on the site after I'd made them, and was amused to see the large number of reviewers who had substituted the Bob's Redmill Buckwheat mix.

Everyone really liked the pancakes, including the kids.

The son opined: "They taste like Sequoia."

He was referring to Wuksachi Lodge at Sequoia National Park, which we visit about once a year.

Hmm. Come to think of it, I bet some pine nuts would taste really good in those pancakes...

Go listen to some good music: "Breakfast in America" from the album Breakfast in America by Supertramp. When we were in London over the summer, the kids were somewhat appalled to see baked beans offered for breakfast. Not, of course, that they would eat baked beans at any meal.

No comments: