13 August 2008

Incense and peppermints

From: OutOfTh3Kitchen@gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:50 PM
To: 'JK'
Subject: Incense!

J,

We just got back from our month-long trek through the subarctic, and I come home to a mysterious envelope…

Rush incense!!!

I don’t remember when I’ve laughed so hard. It was totally perfect. Thanks so much for thinking of me.

But we’re not sure what surprised us more…that you found Rush-branded incense…or that you found that rarest of breeds: a record store!!

Thanks again!

A

********************************************************

From: JK
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:12 PM
To: OutOfTh3Kitchen@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Incense!


It's a story....You know how it is when a family member has a business, you look around for stuff to buy -- whether you need it or not. He knows it and jokingly says, "maybe you're dying for some Rush incense". Much to his surprise, I said I knew exactly who would appreciate it...

Hope the vacation was good. I also owe you something...based on our visit to your house, DCK bought Rock Band for me. Clearly the gift was meant to occupy [the kids] and give me more free time, which I greatly enjoy.

Hey to everyone.

J
























JK and DCK, dear friends since we were all in graduate school, have never gotten over the fact that they called one nice August evening four years ago to invite us over for dinner only to discover that I was in Toronto...for a Rush concert. Worse, they couldn't believe that I'd successfully "hidden" the fact that I was Rush fan from them for 16 years. It has come up in conversation every single time we've seen them since.



Go listen to some good music: "Incense and Peppermints" from the album Incense and Peppermints by The Strawberry Alarm Clock.

No comments: