18 August 2008

I won't back down

Thanks for your order.

At this very moment, things are happening here at Gateway. Your order is being processed and soon it will be in a box on its way to you!

Order Date: 7/14/2006
Estimated Arrival Date: 07/26/2006

Belkin DVI Flat Panel Cable with a Right Angle Connector
Gateway Desktop
Black Widescreen Flat Panel Display
USB Speakerbar for Gateway Monitors

********************************************

Subject: Gateway General Customer Service Questions AA3
Purchase Location: I purchased from Gateway.com

August 3, 2006

I had an original delivery date of 7/26/2006, an updated delivery date of 8/4/2006 and there is still no sign of it shipping.

Thank you, A.

********************************************


Thank you for using Gateway's Online E-mail Support. Regarding your inquiry on the status of Order Number *******, please be advised that I thoroughly checked your records for this order and found out that your order is currently inthe middle stages of the production stage. The estimated arrival date is August 14, 2006. Please note that this is an estimate and your order could arrive earlier or later than the date provided.

Please note, Gateway has placed your order on a priority level so that when the product arrives at our warehouse your order can complete processing in a timely manner. Your order is important to us and we will do everything possible to expedite your shipment. I am confident you will find the order worth the wait.

It is my hope that this information will be helpful to you.

I have documented this correspondence in Service Request Number ********** in our contact tracking database. Please use this number in the future if you need to contact us again regarding this issue.

Please reply to this message if you require further assistance with this issue. If your reply is received while I am out of the office, to ensure a speedy resolution, your issue will be handled by one of my colleagues.

Thank you.

Justin

*******************************************

From: Stephanie
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 10:54 AM
Subject: Gateway order#**********

Dear Gateway Valued Customer,
Please contact us as soon as possible regarding your order number ********.
We can be reached at 1-800-***-****. We will not be able to process your order any further until we hear from you.

Our hours are from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM, CDT.

Thanks!
Stephanie

Please do not respond to this e-mail. This account will not be checked for responses.

**********************************************

Dear Gateway,

It would be very helpful if all of you got together and decided what your story is. Because no sooner did I get the message below from Justin, then I get this message from "Stephanie."

Now, I did call the above referenced number on Friday, and of course, there was no answer, so I left a message with my name, phone number and the order number. Did anyone from Gateway call back? I'm so glad you asked. NO, no one could be bothered to call back! But "Stephanie" did helpfully send the same email again today, Monday.

There are a few things about this that bother me. One is that this is the sixth system I've ordered from Gateway in 8 years, and this is the first time I've had a problem just getting the order through. Doesn't bode well.

Second, I ordered this system 7/14/2006, with an anticipated arrival of 7/26/2006...then the arrival was moved to 8/4/2006. And when 8/3/2006 rolled around and I hadn't heard anything from you, I contacted you. And then the fun began. So, why didn't the fun begin 3 weeks ago? Hmmm. That doesn't bode well, either.

Third, my phone number is right on my original order along with my email address. It also appeared on the query form that I sent (see below). So if "Stephanie" is aware of some sort of problem, why hasn't she called me? Gateway didn't hesitate to phone me 4 years ago when there was a shipping delay on another system I ordered, so why the sudden shyness? Or is there no problem and "Stephanie" doesn't know that Justin emailed me? Or...?

I'm hoping there is a really simple explanation for all this.

Regards,
A.

*******************************************

Hello A,

Thank you for your e-mail. A, I realize this must be frustrating and I will do my best to help you with this issue. Please be advised that I thoroughly checked your records for this order (Order Number **********)and found out that we are currently having an issue with the stock of the following parts which is needed to fulfill your order.

Pentium
Intel Motherboard
Black Wide LCD

Because of this the estimated delivery date of your order was moved to August 16, 2006.

it is just that we are currently having large amount of orders for the Gateway ******* due to its popularity and performance and we are doing our best to fulfill all these orders in the soonest possible time. A, please be advised that we also placed your order in our highest priority. Your order is important to us and we will do everything possible to expedite your shipment. I am confident you will find the order worth the wait. Please respond to this e-mail to either allow Gateway to continue processing your order or to confirm cancellation.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

[blah, blah, blah boilerplate from first email]

Thank you.

Justin

****************************************

Justin,

Thank you for your response, and yes, I'm very frustrated. I do, however, appreciate your time and effort.

Yes, please continue to process this order.

Please also confirm that this is the same issue that generated separate emails from "Stephanie." Presumably, it is not necessary for me to call Stephanie at this point but I would like confirmation that this is the case.

Thank you,
A.

********************************************

Hello A,

Thank you for your e-mail. A, I really appreciate that you decided to continue your order with us. Please be advised that we will do our best to meet the date that we promised. I would also like to inform you that this is the reason why received an e-mail from Stephanie.

Please be advised that I have this correspondence in our database, so that Stephanie will also be informed. Please feel free to contact us again if you have further inquiries or concerns and I will be here for you.

[blah, blah, blah]

Thank you.

Justin

*******************************************

Order Date: 07/14/2006


Gateway Desktop Shipped 08/15/2006
Black Wide Flat Panel Display Shipping Soon

*******************************************

Gateway,

Ok, so I've received *most* of my order and hooked up the computer.

Is there any reason why the speakerbar and Belkin DVI cable that I ordered were just randomly left out without explanation?

A.

*******************************************

Hello A,

Thank you for your e-mail and I apologize if there had been a delay with the shipment of your order under order number *******. A, for your inquiry on the Belkin DVI cable and the speaker bar, please note that there were no such items requested under your order. I have also been unable to access any related order numbers in your account with these items. What was shipped to you was the Gateway 2.0 Speakers. Kindly provide any additional information especially the order number so we could further access our records. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

[blah, blah, blah]

Thank you.

Alyse

**********************************************

Actually, Alyse, this is the original confirmation of my order as sent to me via Gateway in an email. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE VERY FIRST ITEM THAT APPEARS ON THE ORDER IS THE BELKIN FLAT PANEL CABLE. I have highlighted both items in question in RED for your convenience:


Order Date: 7/14/2006

Estimated Arrival Date: 07/26/2006


Belkin DVI Flat Panel Cable with a Right Angle Connector
Gateway Desktop
Black Widescreen Flat Panel Display
USB Speakerbar for Gateway Monitors

**********************************************

Hello A,

Thank you for your reply. I was able to locate the specified items on your temporary order number *******. This was when you ordered through our website. However, when it was processed in our database, the additional accessories such as the Belkin cable and the speaker bar was not entered and you were not charged for it. A, you will be able to verify this once you had received your invoice.

A, kindly contact a Gateway Consultant at the address below to place a separate order for the cable and the speaker bar.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

[blah, blah, blah]

Thank you.

Alyse

***********************************************

Thanks for your order.

At this very moment, things are happening here at Gateway. Your order is being processed and soon it will be in a box on its way to you!

Order Date: 08/25/2006
Estimated Arrival Date: 08/29/2006

Belkin DVI Flat Panel Cable w/ a Right Angle Connector

*****************************************

August 29, 2006

We're sorry. There has been a delay with your recent order, affecting the items listed below:

Order Date: 08/25/2006
Estimated Arrival Date: 08/29/2006

We apologize for being unable to ship your items as planned. We expect to ship your items by 09/07/2006 or earlier. We hope this new arrival date still meets your needs, but if it does not, please let us know by calling Customer Service...

******************************************

Thanks again for your recent order.

We’re happy to let you know that the following items have shipped:

Order Date: 08/25/2006

Belkin DVI Flat Panel Cable w/ a Right Angle Connector Shipped 8/28/2006

******************************************

6:46 am
August 18, 2008

Something touches my leg, and I open my eyes, right hand in the upright and locked position, ready to complete the dismemberment of the zombie old lady I was battling.

The spouse: "I brought you coffee."

Me: "Uh?"

The spouse: "I've got to head out to the desert, but I wanted to tell you that when I turned on the computer this morning, nothing happened.

Me: *groan*

The spouse: "Sorry."

I stagger out of bed, pull on a pair of shorts, gulping tepid coffee as I go.

The computer appears to be well and truly dead, black screen of death.

I murmur an obscenity under my breath.

After a few minutes of fiddling, I finally unceremoniously yank the power cord out of the monitor. A couple more mouthfuls of coffee and I plug the monitor back in. It hums and crackles into life.

So the computer is working anyway, even if the monitor is wonky.

I quickly Google the monitor parts number to see if there is any information on problems.


Gateway Display May Have Shipped Without the EzTune Software

Affected Products: Desktop Computers
Affected Operating Systems: Not OS Dependent

ISSUE: The Gateway® display may have shipped without the EzTune software

I do a quick search, and sure enough! No such software on my computer.

Gateway has emailed me at least once per week for years, but could they bother to email me about this? No.

And you know what, Gateway? Though you keep trying to sell me more warranty, I still have a full year's worth of warranty left on this puppy.

Chew on that.

Note this is the original email correspondence, edited to remove order numbers, Gateway employee badge numbers and telephone numbers, as well as a small amount of email boilerplate, and some identifying information. Otherwise, it's what transpired.

Go listen to some good music: "I Won't Back Down" from the album Greatest Hits by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. The family refers to this as MY song.

No comments: