23 July 2008

Sea of no cares

I am standing on the deck of a ship in the North Sea and the howling gale has arrived.

Now, if you've read this blog for any length of time, you know there is something wrong with this picture. I'm standing on the deck of a ship in a howling gale?

For you glass-half-full types, we'll say that I'm mostly standing on the deck of a ship in a howling gale.

For those of you who know me, we'll cut to the chase: I'm hanging over the deck railing in a force 8 wind, taking pictures of the sea spray in the setting sun. The look on the face of the crewman who passes me pretty much says it all.

(It is worth noting that my mother doesn't know I have a blog and that the spouse has no clue what I'm up to. All to the good. You know I didn't end up in the North Sea unless I have a particularly talented ghost.)

Suffice to say this is making me quite happy.

















I'll post some of the pictures later as my Internet connection is sketchy at best, slow at all times, and posting photos takes forever.

I've also spent some time wandering through the town of Alesund, Norway, which was destroyed by fire in the early 1900s. The town was rebuilt at the behest of Kaiser Wilhelm II, and much of the design was lead by a Norwegian architect who had studied in Germany. The Jugendstil influence is very strong. More photos. Later.

















7/27: Things sped up, sort of, and I've posted a couple of pictures.

Go listen to some good music: "Sea of No Cares" from the album Sea of No Cares by Great Big Sea.

No comments: