29 June 2008

Free bird

Ultimately, yesterday was a good day. The airlines cooperated, the weather cooperated, and finally, even I cooperated. But that last one took a deep breath and a reminder that I was there to have fun, even if I was so tired it was a challenge to stay on my feet.

(Hey, I'm not complaining. It's just that my day started at 3 am, which goes with the territory when you have to be out on the first plane of the morning.)

It was a slightly weird night. Just before the show started, the man to my right told me he recognized me because he'd seen me in a photo on some fansite and he'd seen me at another show. When I made an unhappy noise about the photo part, he pointed out that as a "chick" in the audience, I was an anomaly.

Yeah, I've never missed the irony that in an audience that sings along with vigor to an anthem about misfits, an anthem that describes my own adolescence perfectly, I am still a misfit.

(Fortunately, he either didn't catch on that I was an unaccompanied chick, or just chose not to point it out. In Phoenix, the man to my right suddenly yelled really loudly, "Hey! You're here by yourself!" Yeah, thanks, I wanted everyone to know that!)

I didn't have much time to worry about photos, however, because the man to the left of me spilled most of his beer down my leg and into my shoe. Now that was par for the course, and it righted the world on its axis.

And of course, the ultimate proof that I had a good time is that I came home with whiplash, probably from "Natural Science." It's occurred to me I should invent a new dance called standing still.

Nah. Everyone would think I was bored...

Go listen to some good music: "Free Bird" from the album Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

No comments: