15 March 2008

Weird science

This is dinner with scientists:

The spouse, pulling out what looks like a hunk of grey rock: "Look at this. Now what do you think it is?"

JK: "Hmmmm. Like a fossil, maybe...?"

DCK: "It looks like a hoof."

JK: "Or the vertebrae of something."

DCK, turning it over in her hand: "It's basalt. I think it's carved."

The spouse: "Really. You think?"

DCK: "Yeah. It's too uniform. Let me get my hand lens..."

Me: "You DO NOT have a hand lens in your purse."

DCK, looking surprised: "Of course I do."

JK: "I have TWO hand lenses."

I raise an eyebrow at him.

JK: "But they're both in my office."

Me, shaking my head: "Dude, if you don't have one in your purse..."

Go listen to some good music: "Weird Science" from the album Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo.

No comments: