13 March 2008

All the things that go to make heaven and earth

Really, I'm very tired of this whole list thing. It is not spurring my creativity.

But my mind is off romping elsewhere, anyway. So we'll let it romp on its own and not bother it this morning.

The weather has been lovely but is about to switch gears. The temperatures are dropping and it's going to start raining again on Saturday. This would be because I'm having a dinner party, and planned to grill meat and vegetables for a taco bar.

Starters:

Homemade hummus with wheat pita
Homemade guacamole with chips

Dinner:

Grilled marinated skirt steak
Grilled marinated chicken breast
Melange of roasted bell peppers, purple onions and chiles (sounds so much better than what it really is: fajita vegetables!)

Composed green salad

Fresh tortillas
Shredded cheese
Fresh salsa

Beer, Malvasia Bianca, soda, juice and milk

Dessert to be provided by one of the guests

Dessert chocolate and coffee


And to continue the food theme (lists within lists...), since I turned down the invite to Easter brunch, I get to cook *that*. Mimosas. Ham, of course. Hard-boiled eggs and chocolate bunnies... I still have a week to work it out.

Last night, while I was cooking dinner (grilled bratwurst, potatoes fried with onions, Brussels sprouts--a celebratory dinner requested by the spouse, who celebrated even more because he was excused from the Brussels sprouts), the spouse was flipping through a catalog.

"I'm going to buy you this," he announced, holding up a picture of a woman's black trench coat.

"Why?" I asked, perplexed.

"Because you'd look mysterious in it. Especially in lipstick and with that look."

"What look?"

"That look you get."

How informative.

The daughter piped up: "Mommy's not mysterious."

"That's what you think," the spouse said with feeling.

"I know everything about you, don't I?" she asked me.

"Well, no," I admitted.

"I don't? Don't you tell me everything? Why don't you tell me everything?"

"Look, kiddo, life is like a collection of stories. The stories get told over time, and come out when they're supposed to."

She couldn't quite seem to make the connection that stories need context or they just become lists of events. It disturbed her more that maybe I was withholding information.

I don't always behave the way people would expect me to, I'll admit. I don't mean that I behave badly (at least not usually), but I don't like to behave awkwardly. I don't do small talk well, and usually avoid that in favor of a couple of polite words and a smile before I move on. I suppose this is what is construed as mysterious, though it really isn't. In a relaxed situation, I'm as much a chatterbox as anyone, and if the time is right, or if asked to do so, I will usually give up the stories.

As long as they don't sound too much like a list.

Go listen to some good music: "All the Things That Go To Make Heaven and Earth" from the album Challengers by The New P****graphers. Hey, that's a hot button word! Go read about that band here.

No comments: