04 February 2008

Go your own way

Super Tuesday is tomorrow, and I've already cast my vote for the candidate of my choice.

I'd like to encourage you to do two things:

KNOW THE ISSUES. Though others would have you believe otherwise, this election is not about gender, not about race, not about who has the best hair. It's about who is going to take the helm at a time when this country is in crisis not only domestically but internationally. This situation has existed my entire life and I'm tired of it. Know what's at stake and vote for the candidate who's going to make the changes happen.

GO VOTE when the primaries hit your town. This is YOUR opportunity to make your voice heard, and it's you're only chance. Take it because you are so lucky to have this privilege. Make the most of it, even if you think your vote doesn't count.

And yeah, my decision not to vote for Hillary Clinton has spurred quite a bit of off line debate. Yes, I'm a wife, a mother, and a working professional woman, and someone who did part of her college degree in Women's Studies and political science. But I am not alone in believing that she cannot be trusted and doesn't have the ability to lead a country. And I don't believe that she really cares about *me* or *you* or whether any of us get adequate health care or anything else.

A Wall St. Journal article I read a few weeks back underscored this. The real crux of the matter for me, and this is apparently what bothers other professional women as well, is Clinton's perceived lack of honesty and moral fiber. According to the Journal, "in the Wall Street Journal/NBC poll [taken in November], professional women gave her lower ratings than did nonprofessional women in such categories as 'being honest and straightforward,' 'being compassionate enough to understand average people,' [and] 'having high personal standards that set the proper moral tone for the country'...."

I certainly don't see Clinton as trustworthy, and I'd certainly not trust her to act appropriately in a crunch. I'm confused by the idea that she is "experienced." Her time as First Lady qualifies her to lead a country? I don't see living with Bill in the White House for 8 years as "experience," or at least not an experience you'd want to admit to (Somalia? Elian Gonzalez? All the other things we'd rather forget about the Clinton years?). Or is there some other "experience" that I've missed? Just being a lawyer? Is her time as a senator somehow more valuable than that of other candidates? Is it just that she's old?

Clinton somehow believes that she embodies "change." While I'd be almost willing to admit that anything is better than the idiocy we've suffered under for the last two terms, I'm not quite willing to admit that a return to Clinton-style politics is anything to cheer about. So, realistically, what changes under her presidency?

Let me also clear up something that seems to be confusing people: I do not belong to a political party. ANY political party. I am not an Independent. In California, you do not have to declare affiliation with a political party in order to vote; it's called Decline to State. This does limit my ability to vote in primaries, but the Democratic Party was nice enough to make its ballots available to unaffiliated voters, so I was able to vote in this primary. And believe me, I did. And I thank the Democrats for making it easy for me to do so this go round.

One other point I need to make: No, I do not like football, and I usually don't watch it. I know more about the players than I want to because the spouse is involved in a fantasy league. However, I was pleased for the Giants. And the end of the fourth quarter was worth watching. The spouse was completely bemused that I was yelling at the television.

Tom Petty was fun, too.

Now, when we get to baseball season, I'm all over that. I've been watching baseball since I was a little tiny girl. Triple A, major league, heck, Little League. Spring training, here we come.

Go listen to some good music: "Go Your Own Way" from the album Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.