13 November 2007

Mystery achievement

Today, I am in A Mood.

Like Gemini dreams, Gemini moods can be a force to be reckoned with.

Facing another round of cut-and-sew on my back at midday, I decided to get out early this morning. I was going to be good and just take a little walk...two miles, no more. But I was itchy and anxious and annoyed, and couldn't settle into a good pace. The turnoff for two miles came...

...and went...

and I headed for the hills.

I was already sore. But I didn't care. I needed to move.

Up the hill I went.

No runner's high today but oh my god, the imperative to run when I was headed back down the hill was almost unbearable. I know it's a physiological response--the body wants to expend energy efficiently and walking fast is spectacularly inefficient for someone with long legs--but the fact that I like to run doesn't help.

I haven't run since September 2006.

By the time I had reached the bottom of the hill, I'd regained something akin to equanimity.

Risk/benefit. What is the risk? What is the benefit? I know the risk, and this time the benefit outweighed it. It was Pollyanna who showed up at the doctor's office, even if she was Pollyanna with an edge.

Go listen to some good music: "Mystery Achievement" from the album The Pretenders by The Pretenders.

No comments: