21 November 2007

Jupiter, bringer of jollity

Now that I've spent an hour on the exercise bike, I can start thinking about the main order of business.

Food.

Today, I'll be making pumpkin pie (from my grandmother's recipe, which isn't so very different from anyone else's recipe, but hey, it's the one my grandmother used to make), and mincemeat pie. I have made my own mincemeat, but the condensed stuff I cook up from a package is really just as good since I follow my mother's practice of adding extra raisins and apples. The kids and I will also make the cranberry relish tonight because it tastes better when it sits for a bit in the refrigerator.

Since tomorrow is a giant food orgy, tonight we'll have what the kids call "dinner on one plate:" a melange of goodies. High quality salami, Cowgirl Creamery's Mt. Tam cheese, hummus that I make based on the recipe from Zov's Bistro, good old-fashioned onion dip, grapes and apples and carrots and celery and olives, and for the adults, Gluehwein.

Mmmm mmmm good.


Go listen to some good music: "Jupiter" from the album Holst: The Planets by Eugene Ormandy.

No comments: