26 November 2007

Clocks

'Tis the season for overload.

Crazy numbers of parties and gatherings. And everyone gets mad if we miss one. Fortunately, I have a legitimate excuse not to go on the booze cruise--I have to be at a high school open house. Because someday I have to decide on a high school for the son.

I ran into my friend R. yesterday. "Are you coming to the last house?" she demanded, referring to the neighborhood round-robin event.

"I never go to the last house!" I told her. At that point, the sober are usually gathering up dollies with which to transport the completely wasted home, and I invariably have to be up at the crack of dawn the next morning to go to brunch or something, so I don't want to be out too late ferrying three-sheets-to-the-wind revellers about.

"I'm making cake! Homemade, not from a box, cake! You have to come."

"Five minutes," I told her. "You better have a piece ready as I run in the door."

The kids have unconscionable numbers of projects and insane amounts of homework because they are going to have two weeks off. Imagine. The son takes the SAT this weekend, and spends all next Saturday debating at a tournament. While I'm sitting there as his guardian, I'll be planning the fifth grade class holiday fete. They've also been invited to innumerable events, and it looks like I'll be hosting a Christmas tea for a group of girls.

Decorate the house? Who do you think I am, Martha Stewart?

R. asks me every year, "What's your theme?"

"CHRISTMAS," I tell her.

Dental appointments. Everyone has to have their teeth cleaned before the end of the year.

And I literally just remembered that I have to do the open-enrollment paperwork, speaking of insurance and things medical.

I already told the family they have to do without Christmas goose. This year: roast beast with Yorkshire pudding. Something that does not involves siphoning off four cups of fat during the roasting process.

Four more posts and I will have fulfilled my NaBloPoMo obligation. It's been fun, though.

What I'm looking forward to: baking cookies with the kids. No matter what else happens during the holiday, we always do this and it is so much fun, especially when I'm as tired and loopy as I was last year, and used the last of the gingerbread dough to make not a gingerbread man, but a gingerbread man part. The family nature of this blog means I can't actually post the picture.

But I might send it out as my Christmas card.

Go listen to some good music: "Clocks" from the album A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay.

No comments: