24 October 2007

Closer to fine

...darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear


I am trying to yank my head out of the whole fire thing right now, or yank the fire thing out of my head, if you prefer, even though my entire house smells appallingly of smoke at the moment. I'm not sure what's going on outside, but there is some evil yellow-gray-blue inversion covering the sky. It looks like maybe some fog moved in with a bit of onshore flow and procreated with the smoke, which classically, of course, is smog, but this is rather more hellish looking and smelling. With the shift of the wind, I think we're not only getting whatever is coming out of Modjeska, but also Camp Pendleton. Ash chunks the size of horseflies. I worry there is llama mixed in it...I still don't know what happened to those poor beasties.

Today has been a day of very random thoughts.

**********

We were in AffSub over the weekend, and discovered that The House With the Very Good Address and Very Bad Attitude was for sale. We visited the open house, not letting on that we owned the place 10 years ago.

The exterior had been painted a very dreadful brownish green, and the house squatted miserably on its lot like a troll. It was an odd sensation to step back into the house, and in some ways, it was like stepping back 17 years in time. There were the same track lights we'd installed to illuminate our art. The mantle that the spouse had finished and mounted above the fireplace looked exactly the same. The built-in bookcase I'd had custom made to go into a bizarre and useless doorway. The same knobs I'd screwed onto the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, the same bloody white berber carpet. Of course, the walls were no longer pink and blue.

***********

No, I do not plan to watch the World Series. Yes, this would be called sour grapes. Go Rockies!

***********

I loved sour apple gum as a child and would walk to the local Circle K to stock up on long sticks of it for, I think, a nickel. My mother hated the smell of it, and I had to chew it outside. Salditos were the other treat of my childhood: dried salted plums. We would stick them in half a lemon and chew on them for the afternoon. A single pack would suffice for most of the kids in the neighborhood. It's a wonder any of us have enamel on our teeth.

***********

From the "don't try this at home" files: it is impossible to change a surgical dressing that is in the middle of one's back. I know because I tried it. I struggled with the old dressing for at least ten minutes before I ripped it off and then couldn't land the new on actually on top of the stitches. Instead, I landed the adhesive on top the stitches. I don't recommend that.

The stitches actually look kind of cool because they go right up my spine. If I could only figure out a way to work them into a Halloween costume...

***********

I love it when I have to edit a post 4 or 5 times because I couldn't get it right the first 3 or 4 times.

Go listen to some good music: "Closer to Fine" from the album Retrospective by Indigo Girls.

No comments: