19 September 2007

Smoke on the water

I've had iTunes installed on my computer since the spouse gave me a U2 iPod for Christmas several years back. It was meant to be the small groovy gadget to accompany me on my morning run rather than the enormous CD player I was wont to carry and from which I was too lazy to remove My Favorite Headache.

These days, my 40GB iPod is simply enormous next to the shuffle I gave him for our anniversary a couple of years ago, and the little tiny inch-square shuffles I gave the kids last year. I don't mind, though everyone else seems to, and I've never come close to filling it, even though I have whole albums on it, even, yes, My Favorite Headache.

I love the whole idea of legally downloading music. Personally, I'd much rather my favorite artists get paid for what they do rather than have people steal their work. So iTunes and similar services are a real boon in my view.

There is a downside to all this though. I have the only PC attached to the Internet in the house mostly because I have two children, and I'm a tough Mommy. If you want to use the Internet around here, you use it in my kitchen under my watchful eye.

The kids have had great fun exploring all the music we already have: about 1500 things loaded on iTunes, not to mention hundreds of CDs and 500 vinyl albums, which we use as ballast for our bookcases. We all buy stuff from iTunes and share, so I have "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" on my running playlist, and they have the original theme from James Bond.

The spouse is the wild card in all of this. He downloads the...er...unexpected stuff: Deep Purple, a-ha, all the explicit versions of Aerosmith songs, "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida" and lo, what did I find on my iTunes the other day? "Dancing in the Moonlight" by King Harvest (you know, I realized I never knew who performed that song).

"Did you download this?" I asked, increduously.

"Yeah," he replied, looking startled. "You don't like it?"

"You do?" I asked.

"Well...yeah!" he said, defensively.

Scorpions. Taco's "Putting on the Ritz." OutKast's "Hey Ya."

TED NUGENT.

Ted Nugent is on *my* computer.

I'm trying to figure out how to extract all his music and put it somewhere else. Like his laptop.

Ted Nugent?


Okay, full disclosure. Yes, I was the one who downloaded The Dresden Dolls' "Coin-operated Boy." Three days worth of Rush? Yes, me. But it's my computer!


Go listen to some music: "Smoke on the Water" from the album When We Rock, We Rock and When We Roll, We Roll by Deep Purple.