08 August 2007

Stardust

If you go and see one movie this weekend, go see Stardust, the film based on the novel by Neil Gaiman.

No, I haven't seen the movie, but I'm shamelessly plugging it because I loved the book, and I know the movie will be different, but I suspect I will be pleased with it because the reviews have been so positive.

And Rush Hour 3? Honestly.

Stardust the book was billed as a fairy tale for adults. And it very much is, with all the charm of the tales I read over and over as a child, and a lot more sex. Not to mention fratricide, attempted murder, a really scary forest and some rather festive High Adventure.

Before someone decided that fairy tales needed to be sanitized for the eyes of our precious youngsters, they were all pretty non-politically correct. I remember reading about a king who decided to marry his daughter and all that entailed, and not being particularly shocked, but well aware of the wrongness of the decision. Nasty ogresses talked about throwing children into vats of snakes, certainly a Bad Idea. Children were regularly the targets of wolves, evil stepmothers, witches, but damn, the children were pretty resourceful and usually figured a way out of their predicament. The damsels in distress didn't always do so badly either, though the princess in "Green Snake" was a little too whiny for my taste.

I don't think anyone did the kids a service by cleaning all that stuff up. And maybe even robbed them of the idea that they could use their brains to get out of a pickle.

What this boils down to is that my kids always got the unclean version. They also got Neil Gaiman, and the spooky but hilarious "Wolves in the Walls" and the downright scary "Coraline" and the eerily beautiful "Mirrormask."

And they loved it.

So Stardust the movie is rated PG-13 and I'll be dragging them along on Friday. They are a young teen and a tween, so I think they will appreciate the film. And God knows, it's got to be better than the latter day Star Wars abominations I allowed them to watch.

Go see it.

Go listen to some good music: "Stardust" by one of the many artists who have covered it, including Louis Armstrong and Nat King Cole.