26 August 2007

Baker Street

...another year and then you'll be happy
Just one more year and then you'll be happy...



Last week, I was wandering through a most delightful little toy store, where one can watch a real glass marble being made by hand, and Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" came on the radio. Although I don't listen to the radio much, in fact only when I'm in the car with the spouse, this song seems to be as much a staple of classic rock stations now as it was Top 40 stations when it first came out.

It's a great song, one of a spate of offbeat, mysterious, almost supernatural songs that graced '70s music--think "Angie Baby," "Devil Woman," "Carrie (Doesn't Live Here Anymore)," and "Year of the Cat." I loved it for the sax, for the lyrics, and for the fact that I actually lived on Baker Street. But mainly, it was the lyrics, particularly those I quoted above. The summer that it sat on the charts and was played over and over was the same summer that I was making my escape plans, working out how I would leave a small desert town and an unhappy home to start the rest of my life. And in the context of one more year to happiness, it seemed survivable.

So on a steamy August day, in a town not unlike the one I did escape, it was odd to hear the song.

...another year and then you'll be happy...

And I realized with a momentary flash of joy, that I was happy, that I'd made good my escape, that the waiting had long since ended.

Go listen to some good music: "Baker Street" from the album City to City by Gerry Rafferty.