04 June 2007

Take me out to the ball game

I love baseball.

One of my earliest memories is sitting on my father's knee, watching the Game of the Week.

The spouse decided I would become an Angels fan (in this household, we'll stand for "Anaheim Angels," prefer "California Angels," and scoff, snarling, at the LA Angeles. Mr. Moreno has a lot to answer to with regards to this organization).

Anyway. I had to be an Angels fan because he'd been an Angels fan since high school.

Angels fan. Twenty-ish years. To be an Angels fan generally requires a certain masochistic tendency.

But! This particular bunch is the best as a group for a really long time. And it's a nice team. There are people you can get behind: Vlad, Figgy, Cabrera, Gary Mathews, Howie Kendrick, Garrett Anderson, Mike Napoli (we call him "Bluto," but it's an affectionate nickname, in much the way that "Pinhead" is not an affectionate nickname for A.J. Pierzynski), even that earnest little dude, Reggie Willets.

Right now, they're beating Minnesota 16-1. I feel a bit sorry for the rookie pitcher whose ERA just hit 216 (ok, I'm snickering a bit, too, but he's a young guy, and that can really put the whammy on a player). I don't think I've ever heard of an ERA so high.

I do enjoy watching these guys, even if I refuse to actually go to the stadium. But I still miss Benjie Molina. *sigh*

Still, I'd love to see them win the series again.

Update: in true Angels' style, they are now attempting to lose a game for which they had a 15-run lead a few minutes ago. Go Angels!

Go sing a good song: "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" lyrics by Jack Norworth, music by Albert Von Tilzer.